Author: In Am Nabila Binti Mohd Hashim
Waqf was frequently created during the lifetime of the Prophet (pbuh). Whenever He identified a need for any social service, He either provided it through the creation of waqf, or he encouraged his companions to create waqf to satisfy such need. For example, when He felt the need for a regular place for Muslims to perform their daily prayers, He built the Masjid Quba’ on his arrival in Madinah. When the increased number of converts, the Prophet (pbuh) built Al-Masjid AL-Nabawi. These two mosques were used for daily prayers as well as teaching centre to educate Muslims. The Prophet (SAW) dedicated his entrusted seven gardens in Madinah to feed the hungry and also dedicated his piece of land in Khaybar as guest house to shelter the immigrants and the newly converted Muslims.
Few facts about Waqf
1. The prophet (pbuh) encouraged his companions to create Waqf whenever they felt a need in their society.
2. Do you know that Allah Messenger (pbuh) said: “Whoever will buy Rumah well will be granted Paradise and I bought it.”
3. Do you know that Allah’s Messenger (pbuh) said: “whoever equips the army of ‘Usra (Ghazwat Tabuk) will be granted Paradise and I equipped it.”
4. Do you know that the Prophet (pbuh) said: “if somebody keeps a horse for Jihad, He will be rewarded on the Day of Resurrection for what the horse has eaten or drunk and for its dung and urine”.
5. Do you know that the Prophet (pbuh) encouraged his wives to create waqf and to dedicate their jewelleries to their needy relatives.